Based on its interpretations, INGAA offers the following high-level comments on PHMSA’s IVP proposal:
- MAOP verification and IM should not be combined into a single process.
- INGAA fully supports extending and improving IM.
- A single pressure test during a pipeline’s life is an adequate basis for reconfirming an MAOP.
- FFS should be used as the basis for addressing previously untested pipelines and pipelines lacking adequate records.
- INGAA members will work with PHMSA to demonstrate use of ILI in lieu of hydrostatic testing.
- Application of FFS has the desired effect of deleting provisions of the grandfather clause that cause concern to stakeholders.
- PHMSA currently lacks a credible basis for establishing a cost-benefit analysis of IVP.
- Limit the scope of reconfirming MAOP.